Jazz History Questions
1. The history of Jazz dates back before 1850 when slaves used ____________ ______________, Work songs and Boat songs while doing their work.
2. In New Orleans, slaves born in this country were _____________________ African melodies and rhythms and, in reality, the beginnings of New Orleans Jazz.
3. Scott Joplin is known as the _____________ _____ _________________________
4. Joplin’s _________________________________ sold over 100,000 copies.
5. In New York Dan Rice (an actor) _____________________________ his face and did a show in the Bowery district, which quickly became Minstrel Shows.
6. His group, the ____________________________, became the most well known Minstrel troupe in the country.
7. Minstrel shows were about ___________________________________, and the parts were all played by white actors in “black face.”
8. The minstrel shows included a band that consisted of ________________, “bones”, fiddle and tambourines.
9. Buddy Bolden organized the first band to play ______________________ _____________ – the forerunner of Jazz.
10. By 1900 the ______________ became a standard in honky tonks and dance halls..
11. Louis “Satchmo” Armstrong is known as the first genius of Jazz because the concept of ____________ is attributed to him.
12. In 1902, Jelly Roll Morton claims to have invented Jazz by combining _________________ Quadrilles and ____________.
13. W.C. Handy, a composer and musician began writing blues songs. He became know as the _______________________________________